The Mission Cross at St
Patrick’s Church, Aghyaran, was first erected
after the big Mission in 1925. The Mission lasted
a fortnight and closed on 25th July. The Mission
was given by the Passionists. The Cross was of
pine and decorated with the symbols of Christ’s
Passion, the Crown of Thorns, the Nails, the Lance
with which His side was pierced, and the Reed
on which the sponge dipped in vinegar was offered
to Him. It stood until it was brought down by
Hurricane Debbie in 1961. It had rotted at the
A new Cross
was put up in 1985. The timber is heart of Irish
Oak, donated by Diamond’s Sawmills, Limavady.
John McNabb brought the 16ft. 8 x 8 inch length
of timber from Limavady. Paddy Logue made the
Cross, twelve foot upright four foot cross-beam
with mortice joint glued and bolted, edge champhered,
the whole sanded down and treated with Sadolin.
of Scraghey sandstone was rebuilt and the Cross
put up by John McMenamin, Jimmy Logue, Danny Logue
and Hughie McHugh. Paddy Connolly and Charlie
O’Donnell who were working on the ACE Scheme
in the graveyardat the time also lent a hand.
on which Christ died is the symbol of our Salvation.
“Through the Son God decided to bring the
whole universe back to himself. God made peace
through his Son’s death on the Cross and
so brought back to himself all things, both on
earth an din heaven.” (Colossians 1,20)
Cross is in tradition of the Termon Cross which
in former times was erected to mark a Termon Parish.